Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lemon Pie


Dear Friends,

I made this pie to celebrate what would have been my father's 80th birthday.  He died so long ago that I can't even begin to imagine him in old age.  In our family we remember our dearly loveds on their birthdays by doing something they enjoyed or by preparing their favorite food.  It's a wonderful way to keep the good memories flowing, and to teach the young ones about those who are already gone.  I emphasize the idea of good memories.  The story of life with my father is not an easy one.  We lived through a kind of hardship that most people could not, and did not begin to understand. When I was in college he asked me to forgive him for being the kind of father he'd been.  I agreed; I knew there was no other way for me to live.  When I said yes I had no idea of the journey ahead.  I didn't realize that I'd have to forgive him over and over again--every time I remembered or thought of the bad times, I'd have to return to my commitment to forgive and then say yes, again. I do not regret the commitment or the hard work of it.  I'm able to enjoy the memories of the good things, I've been able to tell my kids an honest but healthy version of the real story, and best of all when my dad died we were friends.  I was pleased to honor my father on his birthday, and I look forward to seeing him in heaven where all things will be made new.

All my best,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment